Friday, July 5, 2013

Plein Air in the Park


It's fun to challenge yourself to simplify, let the light and value describe form.  Hyon painted with me in this same park a little more than a week ago and she was talking about 'notan,' which to me means see in 3 values.  'Conversations in Paint' by Charles Dunn has a chapter on it with good illustrations and you can check out the short video below.  My painting ended up a little more complicated but the underlying structure is there.  Some one told me it looked like a very serene little house; I think its a direct result of the light-dark harmony.  Have you ever worked with this Japanese design principal?  It's just getting back to basics, especially if a piece just isn't coming together.  Let me know if you try it :)





1 comment:

  1. I really appreciate your professional approach. These are pieces of very useful information that will be of great use for me in future.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!